Filter List

Topics: Resolved
Nov 18, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Hi, Nice add-in you got here! I have a question. I want to use the Filter List, but then the other way around! I want to see all items, except a fixed few of them. How can I manage this using this add-in?

Note: it is not possible to just deselect a few of the items, because when new items show up in the filter, they will automatically be deselected.

Thanks in advance!

Erik

Coordinator
Apr 4, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Sorry for the very delayed reply. I have been looking at feature requests for the upcoming 0.7.1 release and reviewed this request. I looked at making a few Filter List enhancements, but decided to postpone those for another release.

But I did think of a suggestion for you that's a built-in Excel feature. Add a field onto rows in a PivotTable. Then filter it by unchecking some members. Now right click on the field and choose Field Settings. Down at the bottom of that dialog there's an option called "Include new items in manual filter". You might test if this does what you're wanting.

Marked as answer by furmangg on 6/10/2014 at 3:53 AM
Apr 4, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Hi Furmangg, That's OK! Thanks for your reply.

I'll have to wait for your next release. The work around is not such a good option because when a new member pops up in the source, I will have to add it to the filter because it is uncheckt by default. I want all members, except a couple of them which I want to filter.

Could you keep me informed?

Thanks in advance!

Erik

Coordinator
Apr 4, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Erik-

I think if you check that "Include new items in manual filter" checkbox that new items that appear in the source tomorrow will automatically show up without you doing anything. Isn't that what you want?

Please do give that a try and let me know if it doesn't work as advertised.

The more I think about your specific request, the less I think any OLAP PivotTable Extensions feature will be able to do what you want. The reason is that I intend OLAP PivotTable Extensions only to help with the authoring/design experience... I don't intend users of PivotTables to have to have OLAP PivotTable Extensions installed for the report to "work" correctly. So I think you'll need to leverage an out-of-the-box feature like described above. But if you disagree (or if I'm misunderstanding your request) let me know.

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:24 AM
Edited Apr 5, 2011 at 6:43 AM

Hi Furmangg,
I think you are right. I should use out-of-the-box functionality when possible.
Can you tell me where I can find the option: "Include new items in manual filter"? I can't find it jet. I use the dutch version of Excel 2007, so that makes it a bit more difficult (the translation is not always that clear....)

Thanx again!!

Erik

Update: I found it. In the option Field settings - see a screenshot here: http://img9.imageshack.us/i/screensez.jpg/ 

Marked as answer by furmangg on 6/10/2014 at 3:53 AM