Error when creating calculated members

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I have an consistent error where everytime I try creating a calcualted member in the OLAP Pivottable Extensions dialogue box, I receive the following error

"There was a problem creating the calculation: Member not found (DISP_E_MEMBERNOTFOUND)

I've tried using Excel 2007 and 2010. I know my calculated members are properly formated MDX because I have been testing them first in SSMS Cube Browser and they are valid and work..

i.e

([Measures].[Amount] * -1)                          -- from Adventureworks

Any idea what else I can try, I really need to get these to work...

THanks

Devon

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM

How do you setup the calculation? What did you put for Calculation Name? Is the formula exactly what you pasted above: ([Measures].[Amount] * -1)

If you have admin permissions on the Analysis Services machine, you can open Profiler and connect to Analysis Services. That should give you a detailed error message and you can see exactly what MDX is being sent.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:15 PM

What I have discovered is - if I launch excel and open a sheet via the FILE | OPEN method - everything works as it should. If I merely launch a spreadsheet by clicking on it , I get the error as I mentioned above anytime I try to add / submit a new calculated measure. Weird...

Thanks

D

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I definitely haven't seen that.

Do you have multiple versions of Excel installed? Do you get a "run as administrator" dialog when you launch Excel directly (not by opening a file)? That might explain the difference.

Is your cube running on your laptop or another server? (Run as administrator may be in play if it's running locally.)

Can you shut down all Excel windows, then go to Task Manager and make sure no EXCEL.EXE processes are running? Then try opening a particular file and see if you get the errors. (I'm wondering if launching Excel directly opens a new process, and it's not *how* you open Excel, but it's that you are using a *new* process. Wondering if you can reproduce this after a reboot, too.

When you right click on the Excel shortcut you use to launch Excel directly, choose Properties, then look at the Compatibility tab, are you running Excel with different settings when launched through that shortcut? What about under the Advanced button... does it say Run as Administrator?

Just brainstorming some ideas that would explain the difference cause I've never seen this.

Thanks for any info you can provide to help me reproduce.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I do have multiple versions/ instances of Excel 2007 and 2010. I have the same experience with both.

I don't get a "run as admin" dialog, but I do think that is has something to do with the issue I was experiencing.

Anyway - I seem to somehow resolved the issue. Everything works great as long as I launch Excel first  and use FILE/OPEN to manage my worksheet. Zero errors. :>

great utility by the way....It sure beats having to go back into VIsual Studio/ SSAS/BIDS to add simple calcualted measure....

thanks again for your feed back