This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

There was a problem creating the calulation: Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC

Topics: Resolved
Jan 23, 2009 at 11:01 PM
Trying to create a calculated member on dimension with the following values.

Calculation Name : [Scenario].[Scenario].[Bud Var]
Formula : [Scenario].[Scenario].[Actual] - [Scenario].[Scenario].[Budget]

However, when i click on "Add to Pivot table", i am getting the following error:
"There was a problem creating the calulation: Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC"
Jan 23, 2009 at 11:21 PM
Did you try making the calculation name:

[Scenario].[Scenario].[All].[Bud Var]

(The word [All] may depend on the name of your all member.)
Jan 24, 2009 at 12:38 AM
The same formula when i write in the SQL Server management studio query analyzer it works fine.

FYI... When i changed to [Scenario].[Scenario].[All].[Bud Var] i am getting the following error:

"Query (1,6) The member '[All]' was not found in the cube when the string, [Measures].[All].[ABC], was parsed".
Jan 24, 2009 at 12:56 AM
What does your PivotTable look like?

When you look at that Scenario attribute in Management Studio, what's the All member called? Or is that attribute IsAggregatable=False?
Jan 24, 2009 at 1:26 AM
Following is the code which is working pretty much in the management studio:

WITH
MEMBER [Scenario].[Scenario].[Budget Var] AS [Scenario].[Scenario].[Actual] - [Scenario].[Scenario].&[Budget]

SELECT {[Product].[Product_Div].MEMBERS} ON ROWS,
{
[Scenario].[Scenario].[Actual]
,[Scenario].[Scenario].[Budget]
,[Scenario].[Scenario].[Budget Var]
}
ON COLUMNS
FROM [Sales]

WHERE [Measured].[Value]

FYI... All member is "All" only under Scenario dimension.

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:51 AM
But what does your PivotTable look like before you add that calculated dimension member to it? Is Scenario on rows, columns, or filters?
Jan 24, 2009 at 2:26 AM
It is on filters.
Jan 24, 2009 at 2:40 AM
Try moving it to rows or columns before adding the calculated member.

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/marco_russo/archive/2007/09/02/datetool-dimension-an-alternative-time-intelligence-implementation.aspx
Jan 24, 2009 at 2:52 AM
I moved it to the rows and tried adding the new member. Still i am getting the same error.
Jan 24, 2009 at 3:07 AM
No clue. Should work. Open up Profiler against your Analysis Services server and see if you can spot an error it reports.

Not sure what else to suggest. Good luck.
Mar 13, 2009 at 2:07 PM
I created a calculated member
MEMBER [Measures].[Product Percentage] as 
    ([Product].[Product].
CurrentMember, [Measures].[Sales]) / ([Product].[Product].[All], [Measures].[Sales]),FORMAT_STRING = "Percent"

This worked fine. Now If I select some products in the pivot table and group them, then the measure is removed from the pivot table. After grouping, when I try to add the same measure to the pivot table, I get the same error message. "There was a problem creating the calulation: Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC".

The error message is same, even while creating the member, when the grouping is already done.  
Mar 13, 2009 at 4:00 PM
skoduru_reddy, upon closer inspection with Profiler, it appears that Excel is trying to add the calculated member to the original cube, not to the session cube it's querying because of your manual grouping. At first glance, this seems like a bug that you should report to Microsoft. I think that CalculatedMembers.Add should pay attention to whether you're querying session cubes.

That being said, when I get time, I'll look to see if OLAP PivotTable Extensions can workaround this bug. I doubt it will be able to.
Marked as answer by furmangg on 6/10/2014 at 3:52 PM
Mar 13, 2009 at 4:02 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.