This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Setting up project in Visual Studio 2012

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:03 PM
I have downloaded the source code, but cannot get it to compile in VS 2012. What am I doing wrong?
I undesrstand that the setup project won't work, but the rest of it should at least compile.
Coordinator
Oct 8, 2014 at 2:49 PM
I compile the releases with Visual Studio 2008. I haven't ever tried in later versions... cause if it ain't broke, don't fix it :-)

Without any error messages or anything I can't help.
Coordinator
Oct 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM
One thought... can you use the latest release's installer, then compile just the OlapPivotTableExtensions.dll (not the other DLLs)? I assume 95% of the changes would be in that DLL, so you may not need to mess with the other projects if that one compiles successfully. Then you should be able to copy that DLL over the old one and be up and running.
Oct 8, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Thank you very much for your reply. I have thought about that too. The error is related to admin permissions: post-build events in the C++ module require them. The error was
Error 104 error MSB3073: The command "regsvr32 /s /c "C:\OLAPPivotTable\OlapPivotTableExtensionsShim\Debug\OlapPivotTableExtensionsShim.dll"
copy "C:\OLAPPivotTable\OlapPivotTableExtensions\bin\Debug\OlapPivotTableExtensions.dll" "C:\OLAPPivotTable\OlapPivotTableExtensionsShim\Debug\"
copy "C:\OLAPPivotTable\ManagedAggregator\bin\Debug\ManagedAggregator.dll" "C:\OLAPPivotTable\OlapPivotTableExtensionsShim\Debug\"

:VCEnd" exited with code 1. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets 134 5 OlapPivotTableExtensionsShim

However, I cannot run it in the debugger, since all C# projects are libraries. Is there any other part (e.g. Excel VSO project that is not included in the source code on the codeplex website)?
Coordinator
Oct 8, 2014 at 5:36 PM
On a previous laptop I had luck just launching Excel from Visual Studio. On my new laptop I just have to compile, copy over the installed DLL, launch Excel, the. Attach to the excel process in Visual Studio. Then I can debug. Does that work?
Oct 8, 2014 at 7:27 PM
When running on top of the installed add-in, the process never gets into the debugger. After uninstalling the add-in, the menu option does not appear in Excel and OlapPivotTableExtensions does not show up in the list of add-ins (even among the disabled ones).
Coordinator
Oct 8, 2014 at 9:50 PM
So you installed the add-in from the Downloads section on Codeplex. Then you compiled OlapPivotTableExtensions.dll and copied the .dll and the .pdb over the existing DLL? (The PDB is the debug symbols, so I think that will be required.) At that point, you should be able to launch Excel then attach from Visual Studio and stop on a breakpoint.
Oct 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Thank you.
I managed to connect the VS debugger. It took an additional step, though: copying OlapPivotTableExtensions.dll and pdb into a second location (the Debug folder of OlapPivotTableExtensionsShim project).
It crashed anyway. Probably because I have combination of VS2012 and Office 2007. Still trying to get it working, but at least I saw it going into the debugger.
Coordinator
Oct 9, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Which project was highlighted in Solution Explorer when you chose the Debug... Attach to Process menu item? Make sure it's the OlapPivotTableExtensions DLL project, not the Shim project.
Coordinator
Oct 9, 2014 at 9:14 PM
If you make any nice enhancements you'd like to share with the community, let me know.
Oct 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM
The highlighted project was OlapPivotTableExtensions DLL.
I will most definitely share enhancements I make
Oct 10, 2014 at 5:00 PM
Now it goes into debugger and stops at break points, but trying tocontinue the execution after a breakpoint causes the app to crash...