This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Filter List from Another Sheet

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Has there been any thought or plans to add the functionality to use a range from the same or another workbook to filter a list.  The Filter List functionality is great and is very useful.  I believe it would be even more beneficial if the range functionality was available.  One of the problems with the current Filter List is that it does not hold the list that was pasted in, so you don't really know what you have filtered when you go back into the properties.

Thank you

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I thought about doing just that. But the problem is that I don't want people to expect that if the data in the range changes, the PivotTable filter will magically change to match. That might be an OK assumption if I coded that into the add-in, but not everybody has the add-in, and I'd hate to confuse people.

Possibly a different way to accomplish this is to add some functionality to OLAP PivotTable Extensions which can describe a PivotTable. One of the things it would describe is the filtered list.

Thoughts?

Marked as answer by furmangg on 6/10/2014 at 3:47 PM
Sep 15, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Yeah I think it has to be part of the OLAP PivotTable Extensions.  Possibly have an option whether you want to type a list into the PivotTable Extension, use a range, or use a named range.  I think we are saying the same thing.