This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

What is the Limitation on # of Items that Can Be Pasted to Filter Dialog?

Topics: Resolved
Jan 13, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Does it depend on memory, or is there a hard coded limit ?

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:12 PM

It appears the limit is 1 million characters currently. I suppose I could raise that limit, but honestly Filter List is pretty slow when there are several hundred lines in the list you supply, and it finds each member (each row) one by one.

What are your thoughts?

Marked as answer by furmangg on 6/10/2014 at 3:42 PM
Jan 21, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Hi, thanks for the info.  Quick question for you, is it 1 million characters or 1 million rows?

We have a super user who apparently deals with claim data and works with Excel files containing potentially thousands of claim numbers.  A claim number has about 10 characters, I believe.  So if it's characters, he might be testing the upper limits.

I'll get back to you with more definitive information from the users.

Thanks for the app, by the way !

Jan 21, 2010 at 6:02 PM

The limit is 1 million characters. However, performance of the filter list operation depends upon how many rows are pasted into the list.

By my calculations, with 10 characters (plus 2 characters for the line break) your user will be able to paste in about 83,000 rows. That's a ton. My guess is that filtering the PivotTable to that list would take all day (as the members are looked up in the dimension one at a time). And I'm wondering if a PivotTable filter can specify that many members without running into an upper limit. I wouldn't be surprised if that long of a filter list fails or takes way too long.

Please do report back with how long it takes and how many rows your user tried. I'd be interested for some performance metrics.