Error while creating calculated member

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Hi

I get the following error when I try to create a calculated field on my pivot table:

SOAP-ENV:Client.00hSBD01

XMLA MDX Parse failed

I am trying to create a measure with the following calculation -

[Measures].[Total number of jobs] * 10

Please let me know where am I going wrong.

Thanks a lot

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Are you trying to create a calculated memeber or calculated measurë?

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2011 at 3:56 PM

What version of Analysis Services are you running? How do you connect to it? Do you connect via TCP-IP (i.e. you just provide a server name in the connection string) or do you connect over the msmdpump.dll? I haven't seen that error message before so I'm wondering what's different about your environment.

Can you include a screenshot of the error message?

If you refresh the PivotTable before you try adding any calculated measures, does refresh succeed?

Can you copy and paste the MDX of the PivotTable (gotten from the MDX tab of OLAP PivotTable Extensions) into this thread. Make sure the PivotTable includes the Total number of jobs measure before grabbing the MDX.

Finally, when you create the calculation, what did you put as the name of the calculation?

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:13 AM
Edited Aug 26, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Thank You for the replies.

I am using Excel 2007 on Windows XP 32bit machine.
I am trying to create another measure.
The connection to the data source is made via SimbaO2X provider.It takes the connection URL as (http://localhost:8080/mond) as tomcat is running locally here.
There is no issue creating the Pivot or refreshing it.

Below is the MDX with 'Total Number of Jobs' as the Measure against 'GroupName' as the dimension:

SELECT NON EMPTY Hierarchize({DrilldownLevel({[GroupNameDimension.GroupNameHierarchy].[All]})}) DIMENSION PROPERTIES PARENT_UNIQUE_NAME ON COLUMNS  FROM [GWAVirtualCube] WHERE ([Measures].[Total number of jobs]) CELL PROPERTIES VALUE, FORMAT_STRING, LANGUAGE, BACK_COLOR, FORE_COLOR, FONT_FLAGS

I am using 'Total nodes' as the Calculation Name.

Following is the error as shown at the server log:

[JPivot] 26 Aug 2011 10:31:51,261 ERROR [Session ] mondrian.xmla.XmlaServlet#doP
ost: Errors when handling XML/A message
mondrian.xmla.XmlaException: Mondrian Error:XMLA MDX parse failed

----

----

Caused by: mondrian.olap.MondrianException: Mondrian Error:Failed to parse query
 'CREATE SESSION MEMBER [GWAVirtualCube].[Measures].[Total Nodes] AS [Measures].
[Total number of jobs] * 10'

------

-----

Caused by: mondrian.olap.MondrianException: Mondrian Error:Syntax error at line
1, column 1, token 'CREATE'

After inserting the Calculation Name & Formula in the OLAP PivotTable Extensions dialog box, as I press the 'Add to Pivot Table' button, I get the two Excel error boxes:

SOAP-ENV:Client.00HSBD01

XMLA MDX Parse failed

There was a problem creating the calculation

Exception from HRESULT: 0X800A03EC

I hope there is some way out.

Thanks

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Oh. OLAP PivotTable Extensions only supports Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services as a data source.

OLAP PivotTable Extensions is really just a UI over the VBA object model for a PivotTable. You might try accomplishing this in VBA. If you figure out how to make it work, please do post back here so others can benefit.

Marked as answer by furmangg on 6/10/2014 at 3:48 AM