calculated member

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:54 PM
Edited Aug 25, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I need to have a calculated member in one dimension.

Something like Calculated Item in Pivot Tables with non-OLAP sources.

I tried to create the calculation: [ParentDimension].[ChildDimension].[CalculatedMember]

With fórmula: [ParentDimension].[ChildDimension].[ExistingMember] * 3.14

But nothing happens when I Add to PivotTable. After refreshing and running, no calculation neither error.

Thanks for orientation.

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2011 at 4:03 PM

I assume you already have that field in the PivotTable?

Can you check the PivotTable options dialog and make sure under the Display tab that "Show calculated members from OLAP server" is checked. (It should have done that for you when you added a calculated dimension member.)

When you open up OLAP PivotTable Extensions and look in the Calculation Name dropdown, do you see your calculated member? And does it still have the name you entered?

When you find the field in the field list and mouse over it and choose click the arrow, do you see that member in the list of members in that dropdown?

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Everything you ask is ok.

I just checked another very earlier discussion and I tried the name: [ParentDimension].[ChildDimension].[All].[CalculatedMember]

This solves the issue!!!

So, please let me change my request: Which is more quick, a calculated member in AS OLAP-level or Excel PivotTable-level? Which gives us better performance?

Thank you so much.

JCA

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2011 at 7:14 PM

When it makes sense, and when you have the ability to change the MDX script in the cube itself, and when the business problem you're solving is well enough defined and commonly enough used to have a permanent home in the cube MDX script, I would always recommend you put it in the cube MDX script. Performance and caching will always be better. It comes down to the overhead of Excel running multiple statements to create the session calculated members, vs. the improved performance and caching when they are in the MDX script of the cube and can utilize the global cache. I doubt it will be noticeably better on many calculations, though.

Marked as answer by furmangg on 6/10/2014 at 3:47 AM
Sep 1, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Thank you so much.

This is a great tool!!!