This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

OLAP not working after June 6th security updates

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM

My OLAP program is not working properly after the June 6th security updates were applied to my system.  It just hangs on reports that have the filter.  Other systems I am not seeing this with.  Any suggestions?

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Can you clarify? Are you saying that your OLAP server is not working, or that my OLAP PivotTable Extensions add-in for Excel is not working? Are you getting an error message?

Any suggestions on how I can reproduce this? My add-in is still working. Excel 2007? Excel 2010? 32-bit? 64-bit?

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM

The error we are getting is 'There was a problem sending the command to the program.'  This error is occurring when opening any file on those systems with Excel and the PivoitTable Extensions.  I have it happening in both Excel 2010 32-bit and 64-bit.  Other systems it is not happening on and we can not recreate the issue.  It is very odd issue as the systems were having no issues until the security updates were added earlier this week.

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:13 AM

So you're saying that if you have my add-in installed, and you open workbook X, you get that "There was a problem sending the command to the program" error message. But if you uninstall my add-in and open the workbook on the same computer, you don't get the error message anymore?

What is that workbook doing? Is it something you can send me to look at? Does it have automatic data refresh enabled?

It could certainly be something caused by my add-in, but I'm a bit uncertain what bit of code would be causing that. What version of my add-in are you using? The latest which is 0.7.4?

Two other guesses...

1. Does this KB article describe what you're seeing? When I look at the setting it mentions, that checkbox is cleared in my Excel 2010 just like the article recommends:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211494

2. Sometimes when I first start up my laptop after a reboot (like after installing automatic updates) the system is slow as it's loading stuff. When I double click an Excel file and Excel opens for the first time that morning, it may take 30-60 seconds for Excel to finally come up. By that time, Windows has given up waiting for Excel to open the file and it throws an error message that, if I recall, is very similar to the error you're receiving. If you open Excel from the Start menu (just Excel, not an Excel file), then from within Excel you open the file, do you still get that error message? Often for me, once I get Excel launched the first time, the second time is much faster because of caching.

Any help you can provide would be great.

Marked as answer by furmangg on 6/9/2014 at 1:01 AM
Jun 29, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Here's another page you might read through:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/office2007deploymentcompatibility/thread/e45b1447-7d72-43ac-8b90-e96d274a1517/

At this moment, my guess is that my add-in causes that extra second or two delay during startup the first time that causes startup to be slow enough you get this error. But that's just a hunch at this point. Not sure why the June 6 update surfaced the problem that, from the links I provided, seems to have been happening for years to some people.

Marked as answer by furmangg on 6/9/2014 at 1:01 AM