This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Silent install issue on some PCs

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Hi There,

I am trying to deploy this addon using the following commandline:

msiexec /i OlapPivotTableExtensionsSetup.msi /qn /lv* c:\windows\system32\ccm\logs\OLAP.log

This works fine on most computers however there are a few the install fails on with the following information in the event log:

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    MsiInstaller
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    11725
Date:        13/07/2012
Time:        8:34:29 AM
User:        NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:    AP01WKS12286
Description:
Product: OLAP PivotTable Extensions -- Removal failed.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 7b 31 31 38 34 38 45 37   {11848E7
0008: 36 2d 46 32 32 31 2d 34   6-F221-4
0010: 38 33 31 2d 41 42 32 39   831-AB29
0018: 2d 43 30 43 42 39 43 43   -C0CB9CC
0020: 32 46 42 44 45 7d         2FBDE} 

I don't know why it is trying to remove anything... Anyways certainly looking in add/remove programs there is nothing there and the addon is not installed.

I can also provide the log file I created during the installation if someone wants, I have only left it off as it didn't seem to have anything useful in it and is quite large to put in a post.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andrew

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Can you create a new issue on the Issue Tracker tab and attach the install log file showing the failure?

Also, can you look in the event log and see if you see any other MsiInstaller events which give a more descriptive error message. For example, if I cause an uninstall failure, before the "removal failed" event, I see:

The description for Event ID 11001 from source MsiInstaller cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Product: OLAP PivotTable Extensions -- Error 1001. Error 1001. Exception occurred while initializing the installation:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\OLAP PivotTable Extensions\CustomInstallActions.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified..

The way I caused that failure was very unusual. I installed my add-in under User1 and chose to install it "only for myself" (not for all users). Then I logged in as User2 and installed "for all users". Then I uninstalled via User2. That deleted the files that User1 was using. Then under User1, when I attempt an install, it gave that error saying it couldn't find the file it had to delete.

One interesting thing in the above scenario is that when in installed it under User1 "just for myself", when I log in under User2 and look at Programs, I can't see my add-in listed (since it wasn't installed for all users). Is there a chance that you are logging in as a different user and that someone else has it installed under their account?

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Resolved here:
http://olappivottableextend.codeplex.com/workitem/23024

Marked as answer by furmangg on 6/9/2014 at 1:00 AM